Final Major Project

An unexpected byproduct of the digital age is that it has become harder to forget than to remember. The energy needed to obtain information from either a hard drive or the Internet has diminished to almost nothing. It is less demanding to use a search engine than memorise and retrieve information for ourselves. I intend to design and utilise of a set of contemporary mnemonics to assist memory and recognition for the digital generation.

Covers





Original Illustrator Files 










The covers for my book and cards. I intended to capture the shine instead I am just documenting how much dust has already accumulated on them.


I thought I would take stock (subtle graphic design pun there) of the situation and update my blog which has been a bit inactive of late. Below a several posts documenting the last week of designing and photographing for my book and cards. This is my first post where I can actually show you something physically made which is really satisfying.

I took the covers for my cards and book to the spot varnishers today. I had originally intended to foil block them but it was going to require 50 overs which I simply couldn't afford. I am so glad I decided to go for a spot varnish instead. I am really happy with the way they have come out as it is quite unusual to have SO much varnish and I love the acidic yellow print. I had intended to do it on a thick matte stock but when I got there they only had 100 gsm silk available. However they used some ingenious system to thicken the paper (they essentially made a giant sticker) to make it 200 gsm which is exactly what I wanted.

Due to their fear that the giant sticker wouldn't work I was allowed to participate in the process in order to take a share of the blame when it went wrong, which luckily it didn't.

I would definitely recommend using these guys if you need any spot varnishing done in the future, they are extremely helpful, friendly and put up with your sleep deprived ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment