Final Major Project

An unexpected byproduct of the digital age is that it has become harder to forget than to remember. The energy needed to obtain information from either a hard drive or the Internet has diminished to almost nothing. It is less demanding to use a search engine than memorise and retrieve information for ourselves. I intend to design and utilise of a set of contemporary mnemonics to assist memory and recognition for the digital generation.

Intended Outcomes



Above is a clip of Dominic O'Brien, British "Mnemonist".

Having discussed my project for all of 45 seconds today I finally think I know what I am doing.
'The Dominic System' which Dominic employs above is a modernisation of 'The Major System'. The original although a proven to be successful technique it is quite dry and challenging to get to grips with. As the video shows there is potential for the system to actually be extremely imaginative and creative (despite badly illustrated) and I don't think this comes across in basic introductions to this approach.

I want to create a more 'fun' and accessible introduction to the system that is easier to use and engage with every day numbers such as PIN codes and phone numbers. I am going to create illustrations for the numbers 0-99 using his system and which are then going to take the form of:

1) A Book - With a basic introduction, large full bleed images of the "numbers".

2) A smaller more portable double sided set of cards in same style as book that can be moved around and put into sets in order to aid memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment