Final Major Project

An unexpected byproduct of the digital age is that it has become harder to forget than to remember. The energy needed to obtain information from either a hard drive or the Internet has diminished to almost nothing. It is less demanding to use a search engine than memorise and retrieve information for ourselves. I intend to design and utilise of a set of contemporary mnemonics to assist memory and recognition for the digital generation.

Apologies

Due to committing myself to 40 hours in 3 days at work I have become incredibly behind with my FMP. I should have worked out precisely what I was doing by last Wednesday and I still haven't done so.

I have changed my initial plans to produce a screen based final outcome due to time constraints and lack of technical knowledge. Here is a rough direction of where I am headed to, a more precise outcome to follow later today (hopefully). I would love nothing more than to just 'get on with it'.

These are some rough notes I made to myself on my commute to work.

'Adding synesthetic qualities to numbers via print/materials in order to make them more memorable. Tactile. Create a more fun, less definitive answer. Experiment into giving printed numbers another dimension. Doesn't have to be 'the answer' and help people. Approach from graphic design perspective/knowledge rather than science and maths. Hopefully this will give new spin on the area. Giving numbers a "personality". It may not work in practice but it is something I want to experiment with.

- separate number cards that can be arranged into a number you find had to remember
- posters, examples of numbers all together
- interactive (but not on screen)
- create a type face specifically for work, that is easy to use in different prints/formats

I find this much more interesting. I have been looking at lots of examples of photographic outcomes, so will need to look over what is available to me in terms of print.'

This obviously leaves me with a lot of work to do in a very short space of time.  Hopefully my fear of failure will motivate me rather than stun me into inactivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment